Reduce and recycle your way through Christmas
Did you know that Santa is going green this Christmas? The festive season is the perfect time to think about our environmental impact and it’s easy to give a gift to the planet as well as your loved ones.
Follow Santa’s top tips for a greener Christmas:
- Choose cards and wrapping paper that can be recycled (leave anything with batteries, glitter or wrapping that is foil or plastic lined on the shelf).
- Plan your party food in advance and freeze any cooked or uncooked food you didn’t get around to eating.
- Get creative with your leftovers and trying out some new recipes.
- Put any food that can’t be eaten, like bones, egg shells and peelings into your food caddy to be recycled.
Make sure you stay on Santa’s nice list by recycling:
- Empty mince pie, chocolate and biscuit boxes
- Cardboard delivery and toy boxes
- Glass jars and bottles
- Drinks cans and food tins
- Mince pie foil cases
- Cards and wrapping paper (that are glitter, foil and plastic free)
- Christmas trees (these can be taken to your local community recycling centre)
Check what else you can recycle this festive season by using our search tool or download the Surrey Recycles app.