Apple and berry compote
This is an apple croustade, topped with sweet breadcrumbs. It’s simple and quick to make, low in fat and sugar and tastes delicious.
- 8 slices of old bread
- 4 dessert apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 250g/9oz frozen or fresh blackberries or raspberries
- 25g/1oz caster sugar
- 25g/1oz melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas 4
- Dry out the bread in a toaster or low heat oven. Allow to cool and then process into bread crumbs. Mix these with the caster sugar and butter.
- Prepare the apples and then stew them in a pan with the cinnamon and a few tablespoons of water until soft, then add the berries and cook for a few minutes more.
- Transfer this to a heat proof dish and top with the sweet bread crumbs. Bake this for 10 minutes until the bread crumbs are golden and serve with yoghurt or custard.
Recipe by the Community Chef