More hints and tips
As well as using your council services to reduce, reuse and recycle, there are plenty of other ways you can do even more in Surrey.
Charity shops accept a wide range of donations, which they sell on to raise funds for their charity. The membership organisation, Charity Retail Association (CRA), has a find a charity shop tool where you can locate your local shop (if it is a member of the CRA) and find out what items it accepts.
Below is a list of charities and social enterprises that service each area of Surrey by collecting and delivering bulky pre-used furniture and other household goods.
- Elmbridge – FurnitureLink Guildford, Woking Community Furniture
- Epsom and Ewell – Kingston Community Furniture
- Guildford – Furniture Helpline, FurnitureLink Guildford, Woking Community Furniture
- Mole Valley – Furniture Helpline, FurnitureLink Guildford, Furnistore
- Reigate and Banstead – Furnistore
- Runnymede – FurnitureLink Guildford
- Spelthorne – Kingston Community Furniture
- Surrey Heath – Furniture Helpline, FurnitureLink Guildford, Woking Community Furniture
- Tandridge – Furnistore
- Waverley – Furniture Helpline
- Woking – FurnitureLink Guildford, Woking Community Furniture
Gumtree – website featuring both free and paid for items using classified ads.
Nextdoor – app and website through which you can buy and sell items or find and give away free items in your neighbourhood.
Ebay – online marketplace where anyone can sell items to others.
Facebook Marketplace – a platform for Facebook users to sell or give away items to other Facebook users.
Community fridges are great initiatives which allow individuals and businesses to share surplus food with the wider community, reducing food waste. They are different to food banks as they are not means tested and are open to all. More information about how they work can be found on the Hubbub website.
Find your nearest community fridge:
Terracycle – organisation that recycles hard-to-recycle items. Local organisations or people become collection points for various types of item. You collect these items and drop them off at your local collection point for recycling.
Recycle More – enter your postcode and the type of item you no longer need and this website tells you where to recycle it including through council and non-council services.