A sweet treat for using up any leftover apples.
- 100g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- 4 or 5 peeled apples
- 1 or 2 tsp of caster sugar
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the egg and gradually beat in the milk until a thick batter is produced. Leave to rest for a few minutes.
- Cut the apples into thick rings and dip into the batter.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the apples.
- Fry gently for 2-3 minutes and then turn over.
- Place the cooked fritters onto a plate lined with kitchen paper and sprinkle with caster sugar.
Recipe by chef Carmela Tomkins