Do your bananas often go brown before they are all eaten? Next time you find your bananas going past their best, why not use them to make this delicious banana cake?
- 125g butter or margarine
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 500g ripe/brown mashed bananas
- Icing sugar to sieve (250g if prefer to make glaze)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease an 18cm/7in square cake tin.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat the eggs into the mixture.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and then add the bananas.
- Mix all ingredients together and spoon into the tin.
- Cook for 30mins until firm.
- Sieve some icing sugar onto the cakes or make a glaze with 250g of icing sugar mixed with 3tbsp water.
Recipe by chef Carmela Tomkins