Basic vegetable stock
This inexpensive but quick and tasty stock is made from uncooked vegetables nearing their best. It is so easy to make and will ensure you always have delicious base for soups, risottos and sauces to hand.
- Outer leaves of cabbage
- Lettuce and other greens
- Cauliflower stalks
- Peelings from carrots, leeks, onions, garlic (in moderation)
- Herbs such as parsley, thyme and bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop the vegetable trimmings roughly, put them in a pan and cover with water.
- Add the herbs and black pepper.
- Cover with a lid and simmer the stock over a low heat for about 20 minutes.
- You can freeze your stock in batches and defrost when you need it.
- As an alternative to using whole vegetables, you can freeze vegetable ends, stalks, peelings or scraps and add them to your stock when you need them.
Recipe from Love Food Hate Waste.