Bread and butter pudding
traditional and tasty way to use up leftover or slightly stale bread. You can also use old bread rolls, hot cross buns or croissants.
- 2/3 of a loaf of leftover or slightly stale bread
- 50g lightly salted or unsalted butter
- 100g raisins or other dried fruit
- 3 large eggs
- 650g milk
- 50g any sugar plus extra for topping
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F /Gas 4.
- Butter the bread, cut into triangles and place in rows in an oven-proof dish.
- Sprinkle over the raisins or other dried fruit.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla extract to make a custard.
- Pour the custard over the bread and allow to soak for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little extra sugar over the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
If bread starts to go stale, you can usually freshen it up for at least one more meal. Just sprinkle the surface of the bread with a little water and bake it in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes, 180°C/ 350°F /Gas 4.
Recipe by chef Carmela Tomkins