Not cake, nor pudding, nor crumble, but a fusion of all three, it is very quick to make and perfect for using up the gluts of apples, pears or plums.
- 1kg apples, peeled, cored & halved or a mixture of other seasonal fruit
- 50ml/2floz apple juice
- 75g/3oz butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 75g/ 3oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g/4oz self-raising flour
- Milk for mixing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/250°F/Gas 4.
- Grease a 900ml/1.5 pint ovenproof dish. Mix together the fruit and juice in the baking dish and allow this to stand for 20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the fat and caster sugar together to form a pale and fluffy mixture. Add eggs and gently fold in the flour, adding enough milk to give a smooth dropping consistency like loose double cream.
- Spread topping over apples and bake for 20-25 minute until golden.
Recipe by the Community Chef