Lettuce and potato soup
A traditional soup, great for using up lingering lettuce or potatoes.
- 1 or 2 lettuces, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of olive oil/butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 or 3 small potatoes, finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp of cream (optional)
- Gently sauté the onions and potatoes in olive oil for 5-10 minutes on a low heat
- Add the stock and simmer until potatoes are tender; add the lettuces and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Serve as it is or blend into a smooth soup if preferred.
- Season with salt and pepper and add cream according to taste.
Most soups (apart from some seafood soups), freeze well. Once frozen they can be reheated to give a very quick meal within a matter of minutes.
Recipe by chef Carmela Tomkins