A great way of using up items from your fridge, such as cheeses, cooked meats, tomatoes or beans.
Makes 16 slices
- 4 bread rolls
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried herbs (like thyme and rosemary)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- Any leftovers like tomatoes, cheese, meat, vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ Gas 4.
- Slice each roll into slices of medium thickness.
- Brush the slices with a little olive oil, and place them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle over some dried herbs.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes and whilst they are still hot rub them with the garlic slice.
- Finish by chopping up your leftovers and placing on top.
- Serve as a light lunch or as a starter.
Tomatoes can be frozen – just remove stalks before freezing (in batches). Don’t defrost separately as they will turn mushy but cook as you would with canned tomatoes.
Recipe by chef Carmela Tomkins