This is cheese on toast with attitude – the mushrooms are delicious in their own right, but combined with the crunchy bread and rich cheese sauce, this dish is a knockout.
- 250g/9oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- ½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g/2oz flour
- 50g/2oz butter
- 250ml/9oz beer or milk or a combination of both
- 100g/4oz strong cheddar, grated
- 4 large slices bread
- Salt and pepper
- Lightly toast the bread and place on a baking tray.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the mushrooms, cook these on high heat for a minute, then add the garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for a moment more. Divide the cooked mushrooms and place a potion on each slice of bread.
- In the same pan melt the butter and mix with the flour then cook gently for a couple of minutes, stirring to prevent this from burning. Stir in the beer or milk a little at a time, until you have a thick but smooth sauce. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Season well with black pepper and pour the cheesy mixture onto each slice of bread and mushrooms. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling and serve.
Recipe by the Community Chef