Parsnip and apple soup
A lovely soup for winter and a great way to use up cooking apples.
- 50g olive oil or butter
- 4 parsnips, diced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock (fresh or from a stock cube)
- 1 cooking apple, chopped
- 3 tsp of rosemary
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Small carton single cream
- Salt and black pepper
- Optional 75 g cooked chestnuts (mashed), leftover ham or cooked bacon, diced
- Melt the oil or butter and sauté the onions.
- Add the parsnips and a little stock and cover to cook for 10 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the rest of the stock with the chopped apples, garlic and rosemary.
- Cover and simmer for another 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Once cooled, blend until smooth.
- Add cooked chestnuts, leftover ham or bacon if desired.
- Serve in bowls. If you have any left over then cool and freeze for another day.
Recipe by Greening Godalming