An ideal way to use up vegetables or leftover chicken/turkey or frozen prawns. Simply combine with your rice (from your store cupboard) to create a tasty Italian treat.
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 500g of rice, ideally Italian Arborio rice
- Approx 1800 ml/3 pints of hot, vegetable or chicken stock – either fresh or from stock cubes
- 50g/2oz of butter to taste (optional)
- Parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
- In a large saucepan fry the garlic and onion on a low heat, cook until softened.
- Add the rice and fry gently for 2/3 minutes, until all the grains are coated in the garlic and onion mixture.
- Gradually add the stock, one ladleful at a time, stirring until the rice has absorbed the stock.
- Continue this process until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- Add more stock or water if needed, as every risotto will use a different amount. This should take approx 20 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and Parmesan to taste.
You can also add leftovers from a roast chicken and veg too. And if you have soft cheese or cream to use up, use instead of butter and Parmesan.
Recipe by chef Carmela Tomkins