Rustic bean soup
A lovely, warm winter soup.
- Can of rinsed beans eg haricot, cannellini, kidney, pinto or butter
- Stock (either homemade or from a stock cube)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- Hot water
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of mixed dried herbs
- In a pan add the beans and cover with water. Boil until tender.
- Drain and replace into the pan.
- Put the chicken carcass in a pan and fill with water until it covers the bones.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the liquid from the bones and pour into the pan with the beans.
- Add the onion, carrot, salt and pepper and herbs.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the carrot and onion are tender.
- Season according to taste and serve with crusty bread.
Recipe by chef Carmela Tomkins