Use up wrinkled fruit with this easy and healthy treat. But if feeling naughty, chocolate can be used instead and is guaranteed to be a hit!
- 300g plain sifted flour
- 125g sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 275ml milk
- 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
- Handful of finely chopped peeled fruit, apples, pears etc or a bar of dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 12 muffin cases
- Heat the oven to gas mark 6/ 400F/200C.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg, oil and milk together and then pour onto the flour mixture.
- Very lightly, using a large metal spoon, mix this together.
- Stir in the fruit or chocolate or both.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and cook until golden for approx 20 or 25 minutes.
Store apples in a cool, dark place or in a plastic bag and inside your fridge’s drawer; they will last up to 2 weeks longer than in a fruit bowl!
Recipe by chef Carmela Tomkins