Turkey, ham and leek pie
A traditional turkey or chicken pie contains lots of vegetables and is the perfect ‘use up’ dish. You can add almost anything to your pie, such as mushrooms, potatoes, sweetcorn, peas, spinach, parsnips, carrots and broad beans.
- 90g butter
- 25g flour
- Litre turkey stock
- A pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- 350g cooked turkey or chicken cut into chunks or strips
- 125g cooked ham cut into chunks
- 6 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) mark 7.
- Melt the butter in a heavy based pan and add the flour off the heat. Whisk in the turkey stock and cook over a medium heat, stirring all the time until the sauce is smooth. Season well and add the mustard.
- Place the turkey pieces, ham and leeks in the bottom of an oval pie dish, sprinkle with the fresh parsley and pour over the sauce.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cover the pie dish with the pastry. Brush the top of the pastry with a little beaten egg and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. After this time reduce the heat to 180°C (350°F) mark 4 and bake for a further 15 minutes.
Recipe from Love Food Hate Waste.