With an estimated 1-in-5 bags of food being thrown away each week, every small action we take really does count. Every time we throw away food, we are basically throwing away our money. So let’s tackle food waste together, saving ourselves money and helping the planet too.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Check what you have in your fridge/freezer/cupboards, that way you’ll avoid buying more of what you’ve already got.
- If you have something that is past it’s best before date, give it a sniff and as long as it smells ok, it should be perfectly fine. Best before dates are a guide on quality not safety.
- Plan meals. When you know what you are going to eat each day, it’s easier to only buy what you need. Sit down each week with everyone you’re shopping for and list what you fancy. Make it realistic and of course, only plan meals that you and your family will eat.
- Once you know what you already have and what meals you will be eating, write a shopping list and hit the supermarket or online shop to buy only what you need.
- Remember, if you have food that is in date, but you won’t eat, you can donate it to a food bank or community fridge, doing your bit for the environment and helping others too.
Find out more advice and tips here.