Lesson 2 – waste reduction
Teachers in Surrey can download this lesson plan on waste reduction for free. The lesson plan is part of a suite of four produced in collaboration with the Young People’s Trust for the Environment. The lessons, which ideally should be delivered in sequence but also work as standalone lessons, are aimed at children in Upper Key Stage 2 (years 5 and 6).
This lesson plan includes a slide presentation (Powerpoint) and a guide document that has notes to use in conjunction with the slides, discussion points and suggested activities for each lesson (Word).
- Teaches children about how products are made using natural resources, where they come from and what they are used for.
- Links the use of fossil fuels to climate change.
- Explains how many products are made to be thrown away, how much we throw away in Surrey and how it costs councils to process waste.
- Shows that individual behaviour around waste reduction can help fight climate and reduce costs for councils.
- Gives examples of how individuals can reduce waste such as planning meals, recycling food, repairing items, cutting down on packaging, reusing items and buying second hand.
Download Lesson 2 – waste reduction now.