Lesson 3 – food waste recycling and reduction
Teachers in Surrey can download this lesson plan on food waste recycling and reduction for free. The lesson plan is part of a suite of four produced in collaboration with the Young People’s Trust for the Environment. The lessons, which ideally should be delivered in sequence but also work as standalone lessons, are aimed at children in Upper Key Stage 2 (years 5 and 6).
This lesson plan includes a slide presentation (Powerpoint) and a guide document that has notes to use in conjunction with the slides, discussion points and suggested activities for each lesson (Word).
- Teaches children about the resources and energy that go into food production.
- Explains how using those resources and energy up can be harmful and contribute to global warming.
- Shows the amount of food waste we produce in Surrey.
- Explains why it’s better to use a food caddy than throw food waste in the rubbish bin.
- Teaches children about the best ways to reduce food waste including planning shops and meals, freezing food and using up leftovers.
Download Lesson 3 – food waste recycling and reduction now.